Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports

Michigan State Football Recruiting: Spartans host Matt Morrissey


The Michigan State Spartans have a big visitor today in three-star safety prospect Matt Morrissey, per 247Sports, who seems to be very interested in Michigan State, the Wisconsin Badgers, and the Boston College Eagles. Morrissey is also high on the in-state Illinois Fighting Illini, but those three schools first mentioned are in the best position. Out of those schools, Michigan State and Wisconsin are two top Big Ten programs that are the best bets to land Morrissey, and 81% of the experts on 247Sports tab Michigan State as the team to beat, while the other 19% have the Badgers. MSU is on commitment watch for today’s visit. He is a Spartans legacy, but he did recently visit Wisconsin and also seems high enough on the Badgers. But at this point in time, Michigan State is the favorite to land him.

Matt Morrissey is ranked by the 247Composite as the 26th-best recruit in the state of Illinois, and the ranking system also tabs Morrissey as the 81st-best safety in the nation. The three-star Lincolnshire, Illinois prospect is the 976th-best prospect overall, and Michigan State would be adding a solid recruit if he commits on the unofficial visit today.

The 6’3″, 180 pound Adlai E Stevenson standout is the son of former Michigan State star and Chicago Bears Super Bowl winner (the legendary 1985 season) Jim Morrissey, who spent ten seasons in the NFL. His brother Michael Morrissey played for Boston College, so the Eagles have a legacy connection on their side. B.C. is still very much in the mix, but Michigan State and Wisconsin are regarded as the 1 and 2 favorites (in-state school Illinois isn’t out of the picture either). Morrissey’s sister is also a guard for MSU, so the Spartans certainly have a lot going for them. Morrissey recorded 87 tackles as a junior and had a great season overall in all facets as a  playmaking safety.




Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Boston College Eagles Football Illinois Fighting Illini Matt Morrissey Michigan State Spartans Wisconsin Badgers

Comments are closed.