South Carolina Football Recruiting: Gamecocks Host David Sharpe

The South Carolina Gamecocks are looking to keep up with fellow SEC teams Alabama, Florida, and Georgia in the recruitment of 2014 five-star offensive tackle David Sharpe. The Gamecocks hosted the young offensive tackle on Friday for an unofficial visit. Sharpe is being looked at by several SEC teams, and he is currently high on the Florida Gators.

Despite being looked at by many teams, Sharpe is heavily interested in five schools. Those teams are the Florida Gators, Alabama Crimson Tide, Florida State Seminoles, Georgia Bulldogs, and Ohio State Buckeyes.

Apr 13, 2013; Columbia, SC, USA; South Carolina Gamecocks head coach Steve Spurrier during the spring game at Williams-Brice Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Curtis Wilson-USA TODAY Sports

Sharpe is a very highly coveted offensive tackle from the 2014 class. He does need to work on some things at the next level, but his best skills are his size and frame. At 6’6″, 288 pounds, Sharpe shows that he has the physical attributes to play the tackle position at the next level.

Two things that Sharpe will need work on in college will be his run block ability and his punch off the line. It is true that he has the body, athleticism, and quickness to play at the next level, but he will need to hone his blocking skills if he wants to be an “elite” tackle someday.

The Gamecocks will need to make a strong case towards Sharpe if they want a chance to earn his commitment this season. Right now, the Gamecocks are well behind the some notable SEC teams.

According to the recruiting experts on 247 Sports, Florida and Georgia are the two top teams to land Sharpe when its all said and done. The 247 Sports Crystal Ball has the Gators at a 95% chance of landing Sharpe while the Bulldogs are at a 5% chance.

The five-star recruit is currently ranked 1st in the state of Florida, 2nd among offensive tackles, and 11th among 2014 high school recruits by 247Sports.

Make sure to follow me on Twitter @RickyWidmer.

Also, check out the Fansided 150 Class of 2014 Rankings.

Topics: David Sharpe, Football, Recruiting, South Carolina Gamecocks

Want more from FanSided 150?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.

Comments are closed.

TEAMFeed More FanSided 150 - NCAA Recruiting news from the Fansided Network

FanSided 150 Giveaway: Win 2014 Final Four Tickets, a $500 Spending Spree, or MLB Opening Day Tickets!

Get the Redesigned FanSided Android App to get your FanSided 150 – NCAA Recruiting Fix 24/7/365

Get the Redesigned FanSided iOS App to get your FanSided 150 – NCAA Recruiting Fix 24/7/365

Hot on the Web From